Tuesday, June 16, 2009

MRI Today

June 16, 2009

Today was Mary-Kaylin's UAMS MRI appointment. Professor wants her MRI's done at UAMS because they have the 3T MRI (ACH has an 1.5T MRI). She was amazing! We originally were going to be in and out of there in a couple of hours however, we ended up spending the whole day doing MRI's and she never complained. I added it up and she spent over 2 1/2 hours in the MRI. If you've never been in or around one, I can't even begin to describe how loud they are and the different noises they make. Perry Jon is at his 2 week guard camp so Memu (Mary - my aunt and mother's sister) was with us for MRI's 1 & 2. Tata (my mother) was with us for MRI 3 during which MK watched the ENTIRE Finding Nemo Movie! She had to lay perfectly still the entire time!

We were so happy to see Dr. Rudy when we came out of MRI #1! He was suppose to be off today. I don't know what we would do without him. He's been such an incredible source of information and processing-out-loud friend and listener. His sweet family has been so prayerful and good and understanding.

My favorite story of the day is the I.V. I had not picked up the lanocane (numbing medicine for the i.v. stick) prescription and we were going to wait and have it filled at the UAMS pharmacy. Mary-Kaylin said, "I don't need numbing medicine! I.V.'s don't bother me!" So, they took her right back and got started. She watched her nurse put in the I.V. and true to her CEO personality, suggested that another vein might be better than the one Nurse Natalie had chosen. Natalie explained why she chose the vein and MK was o.k. to proceed! She didn't even flinch or tense up. Amazing!

Between MRI #2 and #3 Uncle Lu treated us to lunch at MK's favorite restaurant - Mimi's Cafe. Then it was back to another part of the hospital to go into the newest MRI at UAMS that is able to do even more tests. Professor is going to have a lot of data on MK's brain!

Initial results indicate that things have NOT gotten worse and in fact, some things appear to be better! The edema (irritation around the tumor) is much better now that pressure levels in the brain are lower. Professor will give us more details on the tumor itself on Friday. Dr. Rudy says that sometimes once the edema has settled down and you can get a better look at the tumor, the tumor looks less serious. She does appear to be over-shunted (CSF is draining too fast) but her headaches have all but disappeared and she seems to have finally adjusted to the lower pressure for now. She wanted to ride her pony, Trigger, when we got home but I was exhausted! She said, "I think Trigger helps me get better. I'm glad Professor said I could ride." Wednesday we are going to go get pedi's and mani's and ride! That's what she said she wanted to do. She's earned a day of pampering for sure!

We will update the blog on Friday after the appointment with Professor Yasargil.

We are blessed!

Love, Michele

Mary-Kaylin is back in the swing of things. Nothing can keep her down for long!!!
Riding the Carousel at the Zoo
MK & Trigger

Straight A's!

No comments:

Post a Comment